PAGES

Vegan Pumpkin Walnut & Dark Chocolate Rolls!

Monday, November 3, 2014

Hello! I have been completely pumpkin obsessed as of late. I don't even think I can blame it on autumn either, I just LOVE pumpkin. Plus, it's so good for you- Why resist it? It's full of Vitamin A, a form of alpha-carotene, full of immune-boosting power & promotes healthy vision. Yes, please!


I decided to make a vegan pumpkin roll- like a cinnamon roll or knot. I added in organic walnuts & dark chocolate chips (carob chips). I loved using maple syrup as a sweetener in the pumpkin dough....we just bought this delicious stuff from our trip to Vermont.  YUM!! These are perfect for dinner, breakfast, lunch & brunch....aww shucks, they'd be a great snack too!

I tell you- these are DELICIOUS!!

~ Chewy
~ Pumpkin-y 
~ Rich chocolatey goodness
~ Slightly nutty
~ Not overly sweet- a perfect balance!


Vegan Pumpkin Walnut & Dark Chocolate Rolls

ROLL RECIPE

3 1/4 C. Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 TBS. Sea Salt
4 TBS. Vegan Butter or Spectrum Organic (non-hydrogenated) Shortening
1 C. Very, very warm water
1 TBS. Yeast (or 1 pckg)
1/4 C. Organic Pumpkin Puree (fresh or canned)
3 TBS. Maple Syrup (or other sugar subs)

Add yeast in warm water. Let sit 5 min.
Combine all dry ingredients, set aside.
Combine butter, pumpkin and maple syrup- stir well.
After yeast has set for 5 min, combine with wet ingredients (pumpkin).
Slowly add in dry ingredients, and knead by hand for about 5 min.
Set in a bowl in a warm area, and cover with a clean cloth.
Let rise for at least 40 min.

After dough has risen, take out of bowl and sprinkle flour on surface and gently roll out till dough is about 1/4" thick. Remaining instructions continue below.

FILLING

1 Tsp (or less) of Organic Coconut Oil
2 TBS. Organic DARK Brown Sugar (NOT LIGHT!)
1/2 Tsp. Organic Cinnamon
1/2 C. Organic Walnuts
1/2. C. Organic Dark Chocolate Chip (dairy-free or carob chips)

Start with the coconut oil, and lightly brush on dough that's been rolled out. You don't need a lot...this oil covers well. Spread the dark brown sugar with your hands out on 1/2 the size of the dough (as you will be folding the dough in 1/2). Sprinkle the cinnamon, nuts & chocolate on the dough. Fold the dough that has nothing on it over, and press the ends closed. Slice 12 long strips and tie each strip in a knot. Do not worry if some of the filling falls out, you can always sprinkle left overs on the top. Add in greased or parchment paper lined muffin tins.

Bake 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees.

ENJOY!! 

Thanks for stopping by! 
Pics by Me

Peace, Love, Joy

Courtney




2 comments:

  1. These look so good! I'll have to give them a try. I'm a huge butter fan though, so I hardly ever make a vegan dessert. ;) I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though and try it your way.

    Btw, have you ever read Real Food by Nina Planck? I might have asked you that before, but you would like it. I changed my (food) life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM i love this post!!! gnam gnam!!! I follow you, if you want follow me! kiss
    Instagram: @mybluesjeans87
    MyBlueJeans - Facebook
    MyBlueJeans - Blog

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design